Who’s ready for a sensible “summer’s coming” nutritional reset button? We’re heading into our #baripeel Detox Week, and we can’t wait to eat our way to a cleansed, lightened and energized state. Whether you’re detoxing with us this week or simply looking to lighten your eats on your own, incorporate this list of the best foods for detoxing to make sure your food is working for your body.
1. Dandelion: Lauded for its detoxification superpowers, dandelion root cleanses the digestive track and detoxes the liver. Rich in minerals and phytonutrients, dandelion makes the detox magic happen by relieving constipation, soothing upset or bloated stomachs and helping the body shed water weight.
2. Broccoli: Broccoli’s positive impact on our body’s ability to detox lies in its unique combination of glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiian and glucobrassicin. This special combination of phytonutrients support the body’s detox process – enabling activation, neutralization and elimination of unwanted contaminants. Broccoli also contains anti-inflammatory isothiocyanates, which detox the body on a genetic level.
3. Lemon: Ever wonder why we recommend starting the day with a tall glass of Barilixir? Most of the detoxification magic lies in its main ingredient: lemon. Lemons jumpstart your day – and your digestion – by releasing enzymes that help convert toxins into a water-soluble form that can be easily eliminated from the body. Bonus points for the fact that they also stimulate the liver and purify the blood. When we drink lemon first thing in the morning, it helps us balance out the acidity in the food we consume for the rest of the day.
4. Garlic: Antiviral, antiseptic and antibiotic – how could garlic not help the body get rid of unwanted toxins? Garlic’s sulphuric compounds also stimulate the liver into producing detoxification enzymes that filter the toxins that our bodies naturally create. Eat up – then brush your teeth.
5. Turmeric: The secret ingredient in our popular Massaged Kale and Chickpea Salad, turmeric has long been used as a powerful anti-inflammatory and detoxification agent in Ayurvedic medicine. It’s also been linked to revving the body’s ability to metabolize fat and lose weight.
6. Apple: An apple a day keeps the… toxins away. Loaded with fiber, vitamins, phytochemicals, terpenoids and a particularly detox-friendly flavonoid called Phlorizidin, that daily apple encourages bile production, prompting the liver to get rid of toxins like metals, food additives and pesticide residue.
7. Avocado: Ditch the chips, but load up on the guac. Glutathione-rich avocadoes detox the body by releasing bile from the gallbladder and eliminating toxins from the body. Fat is also essential during a detox so that the body is able to absorb all of the vitamins and nutrients you’re consuming.
8. Grapefruit: Proven to help with weight reduction and improve insulin resistance, grapefruit may also help reduce the risk of cancer and lower triglyceride levels. Its high glutathione content also cleanses the liver.
9. Cilantro: Cilantro detoxes the body by ridding it of heavy metals. How? It’s almost magic. The chemical compounds physically bond to the toxins, which loosens them from the blood, tissues and organs and eliminates them from the body.
10. Ginger: Ginger cleanses the body by stimulating digestion and circulation – ridding the body of waste build up in the colon and liver.
Leave a comment...